Last Updated on April 6, 2022 by Teresa Williams
If you are in the meat processing industry, then it is important that you keep your commercial meat grinder clean.
Not only will this help to ensure sanitary conditions, but it will also help to maintain the quality of your meat products.
In this post, I am going to share a step-by-step guide on how to clean a commercial meat grinder.
Besides, I will also discuss What Is A Commercial Meat Grinder, Why Is It Important To Clean A Commercial Meat Grinder, Tips For You To Start Cleaning A Commercial Meat Grinder, Meat Slicer Blade Maintenance, When To Clean An Industrial Meat Grinder, Quick Tips For Keeping A Meat Grinder In Perfect Shape and many more.
So, without making any further due, let’s dive right in…
What Is A Commercial Meat Grinder?
A commercial meat grinder is a machine that minces meat and mixes raw food items to make sausage, mincemeat, or any other delicious food products.
Apart from these reasons, it also provides an economical way of using up the leftover cuts of meat.
The best part about these grinders is that they have high-capacity motors that can grind meat in large quantities.
Why Is It Important To Clean A Commercial Meat Grinder?
If you work in the meat processing industry and need to grind large amounts of meat, then you must clean your industrial grinder regularly.
This will help to ensure a sanitary environment (which is very essential for selling food items). Cleaning also prevents rust from forming on the machine’s parts as well as bacteria growth.
Therefore, it is always recommended to clean your grinder every time you use it for grinding purposes or if there are any visible signs of rust on the body.
At the same time, cleaning a commercial meat grinder will also help to keep the blade sharp and ensure a smooth working condition.
So, how do you go about cleaning a commercial meat grinder?
Tips For You To Start Cleaning A Commercial Meat Grinder:
- Shut off the machine and unplug it from the power source.
- Remove any pieces of meat that are stuck in the grinder’s blades or body. Be careful while doing this as the blades are sharp.
- Next, use a brush or cloth to clean away any debris that is stuck on the blades and in the grinder’s body. Make sure that you do not damage the blade while cleaning it.
- Pour some warm water into the grinder and let it soak for a few minutes. This will help to loosen up any dried-on food particles.
- Use a cloth or brush to clean the inside of the grinder. Be careful not to damage the blades while doing this.
- Finally, use a damp cloth to wipe down the entire machine and allow it to dry completely before plugging it back in and using it again.
How To Clean A Commercial Meat Grinder – Steps To Follow
Well, in the previous section, I have tried to give you a basic idea about what you need to do to start cleaning a commercial meat grinder.
However, in this section, I am going to share a detailed discussion on how to clean a commercial meat grinder.
So, let’s get it started….
Step 1 – Cleaning A Commercial Meat Grinder Immediately
If you are using a commercial meat grinder in your kitchen or restaurant, then you must clean the machine immediately after use.
This will help to prevent food particles from drying up and make cleaning much easier.
Besides, it will also help to keep the machine in good condition.
Step 2 – Running Bread Through Your Commercial Meat Grinder
When you will clean a commercial meat grinder, the first step is to run some bread through your commercial meat grinder machine.
It may sound a bit weird, but running pieces of breads will help soak up any kind of grease substance or oil left because of the meat you just have minced.
Just consider it as a first-line-of-defense against an oily build-up.
Step 3 – Disassembling the Commercial Meat Grinder
To clean a commercial meat grinder, the next step is to take it apart and disassemble the machine.
Make sure that you unplug your grinder before starting this process.
It would be better if you can check out the manual or do some research on how to take apart your particular model of a meat grinder.
You need to make sure that you do not damage any of the parts while taking it apart.
When you take apart your meat grinder, it would be better if you start from the top. I mean it is recommended that you should start with the meat tray, hopper, and feeding tube.
Then, you should start removing the internal screw, cutting blades, and cutting plates.
And, lastly, you should unscrew the metal cover along which the sliced meat usually comes through.
Keep in mind that it is very much IMPORTANT to wash all the metal components of your commercial meat grinder even if you think those parts are not dirty enough.
You also need to keep in mind that if you don’t thoroughly clean those parts, there is a higher chance that bacteria will possibly like to form in those parts in a short time.
Step 4 – Soaking the Parts in Soapy Water
In this step, you have to soak all the removed metal parts (feeding tube, meat tray, cutting plates, and cutting blades) in the homemade soapy water in order for the removal of the bits of meat.
You can easily prepare the soapy water by pouring water into a bowl and then adding a few drops of dish detergent.
By the by, you can also add some baking soda instead of using dish detergent – depending on your preference.
After placing the removable meat grinder parts in the bowl, you just need to wait for around 12-15 minutes. This procedure will help loosen any kind of raw meat stuck to those meat grinder parts.
At the same time, it will also help remove any kind of food stain which may discolor the stainless-steel parts.
Step 5 – Handwashing All Meat Grinder Parts
Now, it is time to handwash all the parts of your commercial meat grinder separately. This means that you have to handwash the feeding tube, cutting plates, cutting blades, etc.
After that, you have to use a sponge material for scrubbing those metal parts so that no raw meat pieces get stuck to your commercial meat grinder parts.
In this case, you have to be very much CAREFUL while cleaning the cutting blades so that you don’t cut your fingers.
At the same time, you also have to be careful enough while putting the pressure while cleaning the grinding parts because some low-quality parts may start to lose their coating.
You have to remember that it is one of the most CRUCIAL steps in this entire procedure of cleaning a commercial meat grinder. So, try to give as much time as possible for you while performing this particular step.
Step 6 – Cleaning the Inside and Outside of the Commercial Meat Grinder
In this step, you have to clean the inside part of your commercial meat grinder. In this case, you can use a good quality bottle brush to remove any kind of meat pieces stuck to the inside part of the commercial meat grinder.
I would suggest you to reach every nook and cranny so that you can end up with a smooth cleaning of your commercial meat grinder.
Well, in this case, you have to keep in mind that you can’t wet the motorized section of your commercial meat grinder. If you do so, it may result in a short circuit which may cause any kind of electrical accident when you switch on your commercial meat grinder after the cleaning thing is done.
By the by, do not forget to clean the outer portion of your meat grinder. In this regard, I would recommend you to use a damp kitchen cloth for wiping down the outside part of the commercial meat grinding machine.
Step 7 – Drying Out Everything with A Cloth
Always remember that it is never a good idea to reassemble your commercial meat grinder if the parts of the grinder machine are still wet. In order to dry out the grinding parts, you can place the parts (feeding tube, grinding plates, cutting blades) on a wire rack to dry those parts using a dishtowel.
Also, keep in mind that you have to pat dry the inner part of the grinding machine before you put the device back together.
By the by, if you, by any chance, have wet the motorized section of your commercial meat grinder accidentally, you have to pat it dry in an immediate manner.
In this case, you have to keep in mind that most meat grinder models do not like the moisture thing because it may quickly lead to rust. Besides, also remember that any kind of standing water can also oxidize your EXPENSIVE commercial meat grinding machine.
Meat Slicer Blade Maintenance
By the by, you can also use a dishwashing liquid soap to wash the meat grinder parts. However, it is recommended that you should rinse them in hot water before placing them in any kind of dishwashing liquid basin (for washing).
At the same time, I would recommend you not to place your commercial meat grinding machine into a dishwasher because most commercial grinders do not like dishwashers at all.
In this case, they may end up with some short-circuit which may result in electrical accidents for you while using your homemade/commercial meat grinder again.
Also, keep in mind that this particular step of cleaning a Commercial Meat Grinder somewhat depends on how often and properly you use your commercial meat grinder.
As far as I am concerned, if you use your meat grinder at least twice a month, I would recommend you to clean the machine after every 30 days.
That means, after completing 15 uses of your commercial meat grinder, you have to disassemble it and clean it thoroughly.
At the same time, wash all the parts in order to remove any kind of meat residue from those parts.
Well, in this particular case, please do not forget that cleaning a commercial meat grinder is sometimes a very tough task because most low-quality metal parts used by different manufacturers do not work as well as high-grade type steel as far as grinding is concerned.
However, keep in mind that with a proper hands-on approach, you can definitely clean such metal parts without much-much difficulty.
Well, the next question is when To Clean An Industrial Meat Grinder?
When To Clean An Industrial Meat Grinder?
Do I have to clean my commercial meat grinder after every use? Honestly, it’s not necessary and you won’t hurt anything by ‘waiting’ a few more uses before cleaning out your machine.
However, if you do it several times in between regular usage or just want to give that thing a thorough cleaning at some point anyway – these are guidelines for how to clean an industrial meat grinder.
In this regard, whatever be the case may be, make sure that you read all these points carefully before starting out the cleaning process.
- Always remember that most home-style meat grinders can be disassembled in a matter of seconds or minutes with the right tools.
- In most cases, you have to start this step by removing all the blades from your commercial grinder device. I would recommend you to use a flathead screwdriver for removing the blades from your commercial meat grinder. That is because these types of blades usually come out with a little force applied on its top side/interface only.
- Well, after removing the cutting blades (in most cases), you should remove (or push down) the blade’s arm (this thing may also be called an auger). For doing so, please keep in mind that it is always better to use a screwdriver for this particular purpose.
- After completing the previous step, please pull away from the plate of your meat grinder from its outer shell with your hands.
- Now, you have to detach all the ‘moving’ parts (like gears) used for grinding purposes in your commercial meat grinder device one by one with your hand or screwdriver as well. Well, this is very important because these types of moving parts are usually made up of low-quality type steel which is not strong enough to grind tough pieces of meats/foods into fine ground particles/grits easily.
- At that point, if you will keep on pressing them too hard then they may end up with serious mechanical damages which you may not be able to see from the outside.
- After finishing this particular step, please wash your commercial grinder parts with hot water properly. Remember that your meat grinder should work again only after all these metal parts become completely dry up. In this regard, it is always better not to use any kind of detergent at all.
- In order to bring back the shine and original form of those parts, you should apply a thin coat of vegetable oil on those moving metal surfaces/parts as well as blades used for grinding purposes in a commercial meat grinder device before putting them back together again.
Quick Tips For Keeping A Meat Grinder In Perfect Shape
In general, the last part of this discussion is ‘Quick Tips For Keeping A Meat Grinder In Perfect Shape’.
Well, a few quick and easy steps that you need to follow in order to keep your commercial meat grinder in perfect shape are given below:
- To start with, you should try to avoid grinding frozen meat if possible. It is always better to let the meat thaw out in the refrigerator for about half an hour or so before putting it through your grinder. This will help your machine’s motor not work too hard during the processing of foods/meat.
- In order to protect its auger from getting stuck, make sure that you keep the meat moving at all times while pushing it into the feeding hopper.
- Also, it is better not to overload your commercial grinder with bulky food materials because this thing may have a major negative impact on its quality over time. As a result, if you are using only one portion of meats or types of food material at a time, make sure that you clean the grinder properly before putting it back together again (for next usage).
- At this point, what I can suggest you is that please take extra care over your meat grinder’s auger and feeding hopper. This is because these two parts may catch more dirt and even grease after multiple uses of the machine.
- Other than this, if you own a commercial meat grinder then I really do not recommend using it to process mashed potatoes as well as any other vegetables type food materials. In doing so, you will have to clean your machine far much easier as compared to meats/foods.
- In addition to this, no matter how you are while making use of a commercial meat grinder, always remember that your machine should be placed on a flat and clean surface before using it.
- Finally, I would like to end this discussion with one very important tip: please try to purchase an expensive yet high-quality commercial meat grinder as you may find out that its motor will probably run smoothly even after working it up for several years non-stop.
Best Commercial Meat Grinders For Your Business
At this point, I would like to introduce you to the best commercial meat grinders for your business.
So, here we go….
- Meat pan with safety guard & plate extractor...
- Modernized Brushed Steel Finish - Minimizes Fingerprints...
- Rifling Pattern in Head Pushes Meat Forward with less User Interaction...
- POWERFUL 1.5 HP MOTOR TO CONTINUOUSLY GRIND LARGE VOLUMES OF...
- FAST GRINDING. The electric meat grinder is designed for...
- DURABLE & QUIET: The Weston Meat Grinder is engineered for...
- INCLUDES ACCESSORIES: The grinder comes with a patented...
- BUILT-IN KNIFE SHARPENER: The meat grinder includes a...
- 500 Watt/1000 Watt peak power, 120V permanently lubricated...
- Oversized hole in the feed tube of the # 8 head allows for...
- Comes with 3 stainless steel plates (3/16", 3/8" and...
- Meat pan holds up to 3 pounds; ETL approved; Five foot cord...
- Includes: Goofproof stainless steel knife, Meat stomper;...
I would suggest you to check out this detailed review discussion on the top 10 best commercial meat grinding machines in order to get the perfect one for your grinding needs.
FAQs About How Do You Clean An Industrial Meat Grinder
How do you clean an old metal meat grinder?
Answer: You can simply clean an old metal meat grinder in a dishwasher or by hand.
For a detailed idea about this subject matter, you can check out this detailed and step-by-step discussion on how to clean an old meat grinding machine.
How do you clean stainless steel meat grinders?
Answer: One can use warm water, ammonia, and baking soda to clean these types of meat grinders.
I would suggest you to check out this detailed tutorial post on how to clean stainless steel meat grinding machine.
What is the best way to clean a meat grinder?
Answer: You should wash your commercial meat grinders with hot water and dish soap before using them again.
However, if you want them to look new again then you should put mineral oil on them after washing them with soapy hot water properly.
Also, please remember not to use too much force when cleaning the machine’s moving parts as well as blades used for grinding purposes in a commercial meat grinder device.
In fact, please do not use scrapers, steel wool pads, or metal brushes for this purpose because you may rub the blades too hard which will result in damage of the same.
What should you clean a meat grinder with?
Answer: First, water is one of the best cleaning agents that are being used by people to clean meat grinders properly.
Besides this, you can also use hot water along with dish soap as well as ammonia to clean your machine.
For more detailed information about this subject matter, please have a closer look at this article on how to clean a meat grinding machine.
How do you wash a meat grinder?
Answer: The best way to wash meat grinders is to use hot water along with dish soap or ammonia.
On the other hand, you should try to avoid using detergents that are specially made for stainless steel. This is because these kinds of soaps have abrasive chemicals in them which will eventually damage the blades/parts of your meat grinder over time.
For more detailed information about this subject matter, please take a look at this step-by-step discussion on how to clean a meat grinding machine.
How do you sterilize meat grinder parts?
Answer: The best way to sterilize meat grinder parts before and after usage is to put them in a dishwasher or boil water.
For more detailed information about this subject matter, please check out this step-by-step discussion on how to clean multiple types of grinders.
How do you clean an industrial meat grinder?
Answer: The best way to clean an industrial meat grinder is to use warm water, ammonia, and baking soda.
Last but not least, you can also use mineral oil on the machine’s parts after washing them properly with soapy hot water.
Final Words on Cleaning A Commercial Meat Grinder
So, it is clear that a commercial meat grinder can help you a lot when it comes to grinding large batches of meats for commercial purposes in restaurants or other commercial businesses.
In the above discussion, I have shared a detailed and step-by-step discussion on how to clean a commercial meat grinder.
Besides, I have also shared my recommendations for the best-rated meat grinding machines for commercial purposes.
Still, if you have any kind of questions regarding the cleaning of a commercial meat grinder, you can send me a message or comment below.
I would love to extend my helping hand to solve your problem.
Lastly, for getting updated tips and tricks on commercial meat grinders, you can follow this blog.
This is all I have for you this time.
See you soon!
Posts You May Like To Read:
Last update on 2022-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API